The Capital Club, Edmonton’s LGBTQ professional group, conducts a survey of all municipal election candidates. Human rights, equity and inclusion are extremely important to me and I was happy to respond to this survey as a candidate for Edmonton Public School Board Trustee in Ward C. Here are my responses to the survey.
1. Do you support gay-straight student alliances in schools?
I whole-heartedly support gay-straight student alliances in schools. These initiatives are life-saving, positive and important for student well-being. GSAs are inclusive and open to every student in a school community.
2. Do you support human rights and full accommodation for transgender students and staff?
I support human rights for all people and that includes full accommodation for transgender students and staff.
3. Do you support “outing” LGBTQ students without their express permission?
No. I believe that students should have complete agency over what is shared about their own sexual orientation or gender identity. Outing an LGBTQ student to their family or community without their permission could have dire consequences for a student, as there continue to be extremely misguided ideas and views about sexual orientation and gender identity, and these students may face discrimination, threats and homelessness. It is their decision alone to share information about their gender identity and sexual orientation.
4. Do you support age-appropriate curricular inclusion of LGBTQ topics in the K-12 curriculum?
I support age-appropriate curricular inclusion of LGBTQ topics in the K-12 curriculum, and EPSB has a wonderful resource of age-appropriate reading materials in conjunction with EPL.
5. Do you support standalone comprehensive sexual orientation and gender identity policies, which support LGBTQ students, staff, and families as a mandatory requirement for all school boards in Alberta?
Yes. I support the provincial guidelines on establishing these policies, and I don’t think that any school board should be able to discriminate against LGBTQ students, staff or families. I am in support of distinct sexual orientation and gender identity policies, and proud to run for trustee on a board with these policies already in place.